I don't know how.

Wednesday, February 17, 2016

I simply don't know how to do this. When I was 16, I believed in true love. I believed in the kind of love that would last a lifetime. That if you found your person, you would stick around, stay together, and fight for each other no matter the cost.

But now, 10 something years later - I've found that it's impossible for me right now. There were some seriously committed relationships, one that lasted five years and one that lasted three years. And although I felt very happy during those relationships, over time I just feel as if the constant struggle made it somewhat "destructive".

Yesterday, a friend explained to me that relationships can feel like you're swimming and everything's going with the flow, while the current could change at any second and suddenly - it'll feel like you're swimming against the current for years. The difference is that you'll find a person who makes it worth all these struggles and all these battles. Although I agree, I think I've realised that it's not for me yet, that I first need to figure out my own battles before I can commit to those of someone else. Or, in all honesty, maybe I just haven't found my person yet.

It brings me to my next question though, where I wonder if there really is just "your person". Isn't life about constantly changing, growing and adapting? What if that means you'll find "your person" in different persons every so often? I know that during the committed relationships I had, I thought that they were "my person"...

I do still believe in true love, I just don't think it's this once chance that lasts a lifetime. I think you can find true love in friends, in your family, in your work, in the experiences you live through. And sometimes, you'll meet a person that you'll want to stay close to - but it doesn't mean it will be forever. It's a fleeting moment, just like happiness - but you can make it last by letting the memories stay close to you.

Artwork by Puung.

You Might Also Like

0 reacties