Train Station

Friday, December 18, 2015

I'm sitting at the train station, reading my new book which I bought earlier this week. It discusses the combination of psychology and neurology, about depersonalisation, losing oneself or forgetting loved ones and surroundings entirely.

A lady passes me by, she's got beautiful brown wavy hair, combining perfectly with her bright red coat. She gives me a smile and I return one. I overhear her conversation with a loved one on the phone, telling them to be careful and that she loves them. She has an accent, there's something unique and touching about it. I smirk.


In 25 minutes time of waiting at the station, it's announced up to three times that in both different directions someone had thrown themselves in front of a train. It scares me how absolutely numb my response to this news is. There's not the faintest twitch or change in my expression. I don't know these people, I don't know if it was an accident, and I don't know if it was deliberate.

I wonder where this numbness comes from, and what my reasoning behind it is. Is it because we're exposed to this type of news every day? Is it a self defense mechanism? Or is it that I truly do not care?

Someone just lost their father, or their daughter, or their uncle or grandmother. Or someone didn't lose anyone at all and that's what drove them to do it. I'm not sure if I'm capable of describing how I feel about someone robbing themselves of their own lives.

When we're often encouraged to do what's best for us, what happens if someone feels this is best for them?
Artwork by Pascal Campion

You Might Also Like

0 reacties