Count Your Blessings

Tuesday, January 12, 2016

I was inspired to write this little piece after having read a diary entry about the death of David Bowie.

David Bowie was someone I grew up with. It started out as him playing Jareth, the goblin king in the fantastic movie Labyrinth. Frequently I imagined myself being Sarah - specifically the masked ball scene in her beautiful dress. And I am admitting right now, that Labyrinth is a movie I watch at least once every year. It's also a movie where I can honestly say that it is my favourite movie of all time, no matter how ridiculous people think it is.



My father grew up with David Bowie. At first, he thought Bowie was terrible. That he was a bit of a weirdo. He wasn't entirely sure what to think of it. Until he heard Little Bombadier, and he fell in love with his music.

Ofcourse, David Bowie was something that then became a part of my childhood as well. I'm thankful for being introduced to his amazing work.

I'm so inspired and in love, with how music, art, or in this era, games, can bring people together. It can intertwine emotions and ambitions. People like David Bowie are an inspiration to me - because no matter how often they were told no, or no matter how often they were laughed at, they continued on. Because they believed in it. Because it felt right.

Ever since I was a kid, I wanted to create. I wanted to make people smile. I wanted people to forget about their hectic daily lives, even if it was just for a few seconds. Even though I'm a "grown-up" now, I still love play. I still love escaping the daily obligations we're put up with. I still love daydreaming off into my own worlds of fantasy. Even though I haven't gotten as far as I would've imagined myself at this age, I am not giving up. Creativity is what drives me, and creativity is what keeps me alive.

Thank you David Bowie, for giving us so much of you.

You Might Also Like

0 reacties